A Brief History of Mortimer National Funeral Home
Sometime prior to 1955, Leonard Holland opened and operated a funeral home located on Kershaw Street in Grenada. In 1955, Louis S. Hipp and James A. Thornton bought the funeral business from Leonard Holland. They also bought Sanders Store, which had been built on the side of Highway 51 in 1952, and converted it into National Funeral Home.
In 1965, the chapel was added onto the south end of the building to better serve the families of the surrounding area. In 1970, Mr. Hipp bought out Mr. Thornton to become the sole owner of National Funeral Home. In 1979, his son, Richard, became a partner in National Funeral Home.
In January 1996, Mr. L.S. Hipp passed away. Richard Hipp became the sole owner of National Funeral Home. In 1999, Richard retired and sold National Funeral Home to Carl Latham.
Carl passed away in November of 2015. His wife, Kathy Latham, operated the funeral home for a little over a year.
In February of 2017, Robert B. Mortimer of Mortimer Funeral Home, Inc. purchased the funeral home. Rob operates National Funeral Home and serves the families of Grenada and the surrounding areas. John Selby is the managing funeral director of Mortimer National Funeral Home. The staff includes: Assistant Funeral Director, Stanley Williamson; and receptionist, Kathy Latham.